Sunday, February 2, 2014

Between to cities.


After I arrived in Creedmore North Carolina, even though I fell in love with the simplicity of the people I had no intention to hang around either of that Carolinas. Had it not been for the accident I had, I would have left Durham, North Carolina with the same speed with which I entered; I almost denied myself, the pleasure of having my emotional state painted with the glorious peace that floods this place. To cut a long story short, I fell in love with this city. I fell for the warmth and the hospitality of the people as well as the glorious architecture that decorates the landscape. The beautifully designed, colorful, small Victorian cottages can be seen miserly sprinkled every where.

The houses have yards, and fences, and lawns and flower gardens. A far cry from the emotionally cold: New York City with its five and six plus stories prisons, also known as apartments buildings. The color and design of these buildings poisons the environ, producing a toxic atmosphere, which breaths chronic depression that seems to infect the mind of the residence and the nonresident dwellers. This is displayed in the acts of unprovoked violence: physical, emotional and verbal that seems to always be on exhibition.

As they go about their business, you can see their face, creased from the tension that depression, the uncertainty of the hopeless struggle and the fear of failure. As they walk to and from their destination afraid to look at the people around them; fearing if they do, that person, may just be the one that the city life may have pushed over the edge. No one want to become the unfortunate victim of an anger that has surpassed its boiling point: A human volcano waiting to blow!

I shake myself out of the dreaded thought and step back into the present, then I takes a deep breath of the freshness and beauty of Durham, North Carolina.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully penned. I like the way you compared and contrasted the two states and what you said is so true, I have seen both.

    ReplyDelete