![]() |
| Crable Ivy |
While I was in a rest stop in Virginia,
after breakfast I began to replace some strip on the camper, the weather
outside was beautiful, there was a beautiful chill in the air that I took care
of with a long sleeves T- shirt. I was wearing a black base ball cap with the words:
I love Jesus; inscribed in bold white letters on the front of the cap.
I noticed an older man looking at
me, with a smile on his face. With the smile still on his face he walked over
to where I was and he said to me: do you love Jesus? I stopped what I was doing, stood up and looked at him and I said: "of-course he is my all in all." Then we started a conversation. The friendly trucker name was
Crable Ivy and he hailed from the windy city of Chicago. Mr. Ivy has been
driving for some 24 years and his main gold is to replace his missing teeth. He
claimed that sweet keep him awake, as a result he eat a lot of sweet when he
was on the road especially when he was doing long distance as he was doing when
I met him or when he had to drive at night. He blames his sweet tooth on his
toothless condition. He jokingly told me: “I have eight teeth six in my mouth
and two in my pocket.” Then he had a good laugh at his comment while I smile not
wanting to appear as if I was laughing at his predicament.
![]() |
| Mr. Ivy with his rig |
Crable Ivy was a good spirited
man who was happy to share his experience with me. One of the things He shared
with me was how to deal with swarms of flies. “This is something I learn
recently, after so many years of driving,” he said; “when the fly season is on
in the summer, the flies comes out in swarms, if you get ammonia, mix it half ammonia
to half water and spray it onto your windshield, the flies will not land and
remain on your windshield; they will avoid you he said beaming with excitement
as he share his newly acquired knowledge.
When it was time for Mr. Ivy, who
was traveling with an empty rig, to go; he politely said “I must be going if I
am to get to Texas on time." Before he got into his rig, He took the time to
pose for a picture; then he said to me: “Say your prayers at night and drive
between the lanes.” He then boarded his rig, closed the doors, he started and
revved his engine then off he went.
In my list of experiences this is
another pleasant person with an awesome sense-of-humor who is not afraid to
laugh at himself.


No comments:
Post a Comment