Saturday, December 21, 2013

Mishaps and good fortune

It was the night of Tuesday 3rd December, 2013. I arrived at the Five Oaks Seventh Day Adventist Church compound and I spent the night in the R.V. I felt good about my accomplishment, I have purchased a heavy duty two bar for a price that was far less than its real value (which was the advertised price), I had my van, I was happening. I woke up early and I began to prepare to continue on my wild adventure. I parked the Camper in the open, I positioned the Van behind the camper and proceeded to connected the van to the RV using the tow bars.
I hooked the tow bar to the front metal bumper of the van. In my excitement, I connected the tow bar on the lower less reinforced part of the bumper. When I was finished, I examined the apparatus and all appeared to be well; I tugged on it, I even walked on the connected bar and it seems well. But the pressure I applied was nowhere close to twelve hundred pounds, which was the estimated weight of the van.
Now I was all excited and I was ready to go. I put the van in the neutral gear, close the door then I boarded the RV. In a matter of minutes I was on my way. While I drove, I checked the van to ensure that all was well. After all what could go wrong? I was confident about everything; so, I began my journey, never neglecting I continue to monitor the added vehicle. It was the first time I was using a tow bar; it was also the first time I was towing an additional vehicle with the RV.
I drove to the gate of the Church compound and I check to make sure it was safe to enter the road before I did so. When It was safe, I proceed to drive the RV onto the public streets for the first time with a vehicle hitched to the rear. After all how hard could this be?
I turned left and began my journey down the small hill that ends Farrington Road, which led to a busy intersection. From my observation, there were utility workers at work at the bottom of the hill. They had heavy equipment in the vicinity and there were other vehicle that were associated with the utility workers parked on the side of the road. 
When I was about five hundred feet into my journey, I saw the van outside of its fixed perimeter. As a result, I slowed down the vehicle and slowly turn to the right to get a better view of what was happening. Visual of the rear of the Camper was restricted only to the left and right wing mirrors. My view revealed a reality I was not ready to see and or deal with.
I was shocked to see the van had broken loose from the hitch and was heading down the hill into the busy intersection. Immediately; a picture flashed across my minds-eyes; it was a graphic picture of a multi vehicle collision at the intersection involving the runaway van. In that visual the van ended up at the bottom of the bank where the utility workers were working.
In order to avoid such an expensive disaster, I quickly pull the RV into the path of the van, stopping the van's uncontrolled progress down the hill, thus avoiding what could have been a serious multi vehicle collision, which may have resulted in serious injuries even the lost of life.
The damage to the Van
I noticed water was spilling out of the RV by the gallons. I feared the worst. Could it be that the impact had smashed the RV's plumbing system? What other damage there were, other than that which was visible? On inspection, I noticed the rear water and waste compartment was badly damage to the point where the door was unable to close. 

I looked at the van and I noticed the right front fender was badly dented, the right front indicator light was mashed up, and a little part of the right front bonnet was slightly damage.
I was angry yet thankful. I was angry that this happened knowing it was my error that cause the van to break loose of the tow bar; but I was thankful that I was able to stop the van before it got into the busy intersection.
The Rear compartment after I had worked on it
After closer inspection and a little thought, I was able to pull the van free of the camper without creating any more damage to either vehicles. On close inspection, I was relief when I discovered the only damage to the RV plumbing was restricted to a broken water pump; which had a nagging drip and needed to be replaced or repaired. It was the broken water pump that was responsible for the mass exit of water that flooded the streets and caused me to panic, fearing the worst.
I immediately got out my tools box and I began to work on the camper, Hammering, screwing pressing and forcing things back into place. Within two hours, the rear compartment door was able to close again and the damage area of the camper was looking as decent as it could be expected all things considered. I was indeed proud of my efforts.
Through inquiries, I discovered there is a junk Yard not too far from where I was. I visited the junk yard and I was told that the fender will cost: one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00). One of the workers took me to see the fender. I noticed the fender was on a black van; unfortunately one black fender on a white van was not a good fit. I try negotiate getting the two black fender exchanging my good white fender; however, according to the sales person, the company don't barter, trade, etc.
Front view damage to the van
I decide to take some time to think about buying a black fender to put on my white van. I was standing outside trying to work out my nest course of action. Just then I saw a young man walked out of the Junk yard's office, he looked as disappointed as I felt. So I started a conversation with the young man who was looking for parts also. One thing led to another and the young North Carolina youth told me there was another junk yard that was in the direction he was going. He requested that I follow him and he will take me to the Junk yard.
A little into the journey, I saw his car stopped and the young African American fellow exited the vehicle and walked back to me. He said: “There is another junk yard that is much bigger than this one and the one I am going to take you to, but there is two difference; you have to pay to enter and you have got to take off the parts yourself. The thought of having access to a whole Junk Yard with cars of all description got me all wired.

The Front of L.K.Q Junk Yard
I opt to visit the junk yard where I had access to the vehicles. The young man took me to the junk yard where you pull the parts yourself, I paid two dollars to enter the facility, and I got a new fender, a new right indicator light, a fairly new chrome front bumper, two tow mounts, two side door hinges, four relays, two hubcaps and a fairly new rear indicator light for less than one hundred and fifty dollars. I also made friends with the owner of the facility: who is called Waggs, with whom I always have a discussion.
Not a bad deal after all.

     

   

No comments:

Post a Comment