Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My encounter with the Virginia State Police

Shevorn John
It was Friday 8th November 2013, I have been driving for most of the day. The Sabbath hours have fallen and I am still on the Road. I received a phone call from my ex-girlfriend Shevon John who wanted to find out where I was, how I was doing and what was my next move. Shevorn have been following my movement on line, she will google the places I visited or was headed to and learn a little about the place and will bring thing I may not have known about the city or county to my attention.
So I pulled onto the handle of the busy highway, I turned the engine off, lay back my seat and I began to speak to shevorne. Because I was trapped between two mountains, the reception was poor so we chat for a while and I told her my plans for the weekend.

Each time Shevorn calls me, she does so with the map of the Unites States of America open on her computer. She will inquire about my experience while on the road. There is always excitement in her voice when she call.

After the conversation with Shevorn ended, I continued on the journey, I was in Virginia at this time, I saw a most welcoming sign that said, Rest area a mile ahead. I was happy for now it was way pass 10:00 P.M. and I was tired. It is my plan to spend the weekend at this sight.

When I pulled into the Rest area, I find a nice place to park, I pulled my curtain and I prepare for bed. On Saturday the 9th November I stayed indoors all day. I listen to Gospel Twang Radio on my phone and I read my bible for most of the day. I could hear the workers outside sweeping and the many vehicles that came and left. Sunday I came outside a few times just to stretch and to look around. It was my plans to leave on Monday morning bright and early. However I did not have to be at my destination until Tuesday at 9:30 am for an appointment.

Extract of: The Virginia State Police
It was about 2:30 A.M. on Monday 11th November 2013, I was fast asleep. I was suddenly and unexpected awaken by a firm knocking on my door; I was wondering who could this be, so I waited for a while to ensure I was not dreaming. I heard the same loud knocking on the door; however, this time the knocking was followed by a voice. The voice said, “Mr. Palmer, this is the Virginia State Police.” I quickly jumped to my feet, I move to the small kitchen window then I pulled up the shades of the kitchen window which is near to the door. 

I looked out of the window and I saw a white male dressed in the Virginia State Police uniform. I glance to my left and I noticed that there was another uniformed officer standing at the other end of the door in the shadows. It is common for the police to run your plates in their system, before they approach. Such a check give the officers vital information of the nature of the person and the possible level of threat the person they are dealing with may pose.

After I made sure they were actually who they said they were, I proceed to turn on the lights in the camper, so they can see me clearly and can follow all of my movements without any problem. I did not want to be shot because the trusted men of the law had to speculate as to my intent and what I doing in the dark.  Then I turned the porch lights on. I open the door and I had a discussion with the officers.

The lead officer wanted to know if I was ok, he then brought his observation to my attention. He said Mr. Palmer, we noticed you have been here in this very spot for quite a while; why is that? I told him, when I got to this location it was the Sabbath; as a result, I spend the Sabbath here. The officer did not know what the Sabbath was so I give him a quick explanation. I also proceed to tell him I have an appointment on Tuesday and I decided to stay in this rest spot until Monday when I will drive to my place of appointment to make sure I know where I am going on Tuesday. The officer then asked to see my driver’s license which I handed to him. They  also wanted to know if I was alone; which I was.


After my explanation, I was handed my license, the officer apologized for disturbing me, bid me a good rest then they left.

The police officers were very professional in the way they conducted themselves, I was never place in fear or for felt a hint of prejudice by anything they did, said or inferred; I felt safe and respected. These men were indeed a credit to their uniform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment