Friday, November 15, 2013

The Journey began

My Nephew Oasan
Monday the 28th October I packed everything I may need on a long journey in my Recreation Vehicle (RV), I drove my van to Oasan's (my nephew) house in Queens, New York City, handed him the key to my Ford Van and the apartment and I gave him instructions as to what to do with the remaining content of the apartment. After which, Oasan drove me to the RV which was parked, on Flatbush Brooklyn, NYC, just outside the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. 

This was Oasan's only visit to the RV, he expressed his appreciation for what he have seen and told me he had his doubts as to the quality of the vehicle, when I discussed it with him three months earlier. 

At about 5:30 pm, that same evening, I drove over the Manhattan Bridge, and through the Holland Tunnel and into New Jersey (NJ). The crossing of the Holland Tunnel marked the beginning of my extended road trip. Whilst in New Jersey (NJ) I had two main objectives which were to:


1. To purchase propane fuel; this fuel source (propane) will be use to power the RV fridge, heat the RV in cold weather and for cooking.

2. as well as, to purchase gasoline for the RV.
The bedroom
 New Jersey is a good location to purchase gasoline, gas cost less per gallon than any nearby state. When I arrived in NJ, I proceeded to the U-hall facility; on my arrival to the U-hall facility, where I was expected to full my propane tank of propane; I had a rude awakening. The security officer at the facility informed me that I will have to return tomorrow. This was so because the person who is assigned to deals with propane sales and service have left for the day and he (the security officer) have just shut down the propane pumps. When I asked the time, I was told it is 7:00 pm. It was all out of my control, I could not do anything but to return to the facility on Tuesday 31st Oct.2013, at 8:00 am on October 29th to full my propane tank. It was then I decided to go to the gas station nearby and fill my RV tank with gasoline. This was when I discovered that the RV has a 75 gallons gas tank. WHAT!!!

The RV kitchen
 After fulling the tank, I had a choice to make; I must address the issue of sleeping. Although I have spent several nights in the RV, to prevent my adversaries from vandalizing and sabotaging it whilst it was parked in Brooklyn, It will be my first time on the road.  Should I go to the small motel on 1&9 and spend the night (spend $40.00 plus tax)? should I pull to the side of the road and spend the night there (after all I will be doing a lot of roadside sleeping when I am on the road)? Or should I drive to 590 Belleview turnpike, Kearny, New Jersey, park on the premises and sleep in the RV? After I realized that my fresh water tank was empty, I decided not to spend any unnecessary money causing the quick depletion of the little money I had. With the financial prospective in mind I opt to drive to 590 Belleview Turnpike, Kearney, New Jersey and spend the night there; at lease there I can obtain free water whilst there.

The RV from the side
When I arrived the facilities it was about 9:00 pm, I saw the Chief mechanic Ronnie and his assistance Manuel was just about to drive off of the premises, they were on their way to purchase their dinner. I informed Ronnie of my propane problems and told him I am spending the night on the premises, to which he granted his approval. I then asked the guys to pick me up dinner also which they did. On their return Ronnie, his assistant Manuel and I sat in the RV and had dinner. 


Chief mechanic Ronny and I after dinner
After hours of chatting Ronnie and Manuel went into the garage where their sleeping quarters are located, I pulled my curtains for privacy and I went to bed.







No comments:

Post a Comment