Friday, November 15, 2013

The decision to go

Allan Palmer
It was Tuesday 29th October, it was a beautiful day. I woke up early as my custom is, however, it was very chilly outside, so I lay in bed until 7:30 A.M. By this time the owners and the workers of the adjacent business (trucking and storage facility) had just began to stir. As a result, I got up, put on some warm clothes, combed my hair; brushed my teeth and I started inspecting the RV. I started the engine, checked the generator etc. and then I drove the RV to O.S.O Gas Company where I had the propane tank filled. 

Propane tank compartment
This was when I discovered that the RV has a 25 gallons propane tank. The propane was approximately $2.60 per gallon about one dollar per gallon cheaper that the U-Hall facility. After which, I returned to 590 Belleview Turnpike. I asked for and I was granted a tank of water by the chief mechanic. But there was a problem; I have never put water in the RV before. I was left to figure out how to put water into the RV fresh water tank.

There was an inlet on the right side of the middle of the RV, having forgotten that the inlet was an open valve that led into the toilet compartment that is used to sanitized the black water (or septic) tank, I connected the hose to the inlet valve and turned on the water pressure. I Felt good about myself, because I was finally able to put fresh water in the RV. I stood back and with pride I began to watch as the water poured in. Now, how am I going to know when the tank was filled?

To my astonishment I say water pouring out of the rear of the RV from several unqualified exits. "This cannot be happening" I said to myself; “don't tell me, the RV fresh water thank is no good.” I ran into the building where the source of the water was and turned off the faucet.

the bedroom
I quickly made my way into the RV to trace the line, when I thought about it, That valve may not be the correct inlet. It was then I realized, the inlet valve in the middle of the RV had no attached connection. It was also when I remembered the previous Owner Manny explaining the sanitizing of the black water or septic tank to me, using a mechanism, he showed me how it worked and it should be connected to the inlet valve and a water source from outside.

It was good that the water just slightly wet the carpet in the bedroom. With a little heat from while I drive, the carpet should be dry soon.

I open and discovered in the rear lower, right hand compartment, another inlet valve; this valve was attached to a net work of plumbing and the water pump. Unfortunately, there was a paper instruction that had bad water damaged. This did not work out to well. I think I managed to get some water into the tank, but I was not sure. After several attempts to put water into the RV, I disconnected the hose, turned on the water pump, and I tried the faucet but no water came from it.

I have been putting of this trip for too long, it was either I started the trip now or I may never. There was not going to be a perfect time to began this journey; so unprepared, without water and without any knowledge how most things work or if most things in the RV worked. With a full tank of gasoline and a full tank of propane I set out on my adventurous journey to nowhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment